View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #343
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

A couple of things...

Should anyone follow me on the Gauges path, post a note here and I'll update the thread with new QNX programs (I've made a few changes, mostly around the grey lines for speed, since they are really hard to see in sunlight - and I'll probably make some more, maybe bug fixes should I find them). Posting them as I go though is just noise on this thread.

With my "repaired" unit, and having freed up a lot of flash memory space, I'm now seeing (I think) how the units operate. I think they record flash block read problems somewhere, but nothing is done at the time they occur. When I reboot the unit however, I see it "Validating duplicate sequence" messages (see page 8 on this thread) when it first starts (mounts the flash memory device). You never see these again, and I now suspect that it is validating the duplication of bad blocks into new blocks... In the simplest of terms, that can most easily occur when the file-system isn't yet mounted, though I question the overall robustness.

What I make of this is, if you never disconnect the battery (or do a proper shutdown using Forscan etc.), the unit will not get a chance to fix what it knows is going bad. One day a reboot may occur (from a jumpstart or just letting the battery drain) and it'll be totally borked.

Someone said, they often disconnect the battery / jumpstart - I can't remember... But it may well be the case that doing these things often gives the unit a chance to repair itself before it gets too bad.

I can only say, the massive amount of messages from this bad unit (and the fact that my good units have really gotten better over time, while I test them) makes me think this is how they operate.

Last edited by JasonACT; 09-03-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Edit: because the bad unit only gets a couple of bad reads now!
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: