View Single Post
Old 16-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #813
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
We will just disagree,to disagree,OK?
Fact is I would not of believed it myself, but I know better now and I do 50.000KM a year so I would know because I do pay attention to such things.
I thought all brands of fuel was the same, like 91 octan would be the same regardless but it's clearly not, the wife's VS V6 would always ping but I would put 91 from BP or Shell and there other mobs and it never pinged then.
That VS of the wife's went real well for a VS V6 and I believe that when they put the rear plate on that picks up the spark timing, it's not always spot on, so you get some that are retarded and some are advanced, it's this or the cam timing that makes them gutless or go well, I have driven a fare few to notice and two mates had gutless VS V6 from new and know one bloke that had the pinging in his and the dealer put a new chip in it and that fixed that problem but he was a old dude that knew nothing much.

So wife's VS would ping and by rights they should never ping as it was stock as a rock.
So why should it ping on one 91 fuel and not on another 91 ?
I had driven it on long trips as well using BP or Shell and not a problem and as soon as Caltex bingo that ping came back, every time when overtaking dropping back to 2ed flat out and it ping initially for a second and then go away every time.

The wife's Aurion will not spin the wheels on 91 Caltex taking of flat out but will go light them up on BP or Shell easy until the traction control kicks in.

The nippers 2015 2.4L manual GSR Lancer with aircon on, is as gutless as when taking off on 91 Caltex that it's a real pain to drive but 91 BP or Shell it's better, the 95 octane Shell is best of the lot, 94 E10 is good and 98 is not as good as the 95 octane because as soon as it hits 3500rpm it kicks in real well and takes off but all the other fuels it 4000rpm that it kicks in.

I jet and tune all my dirt bikes for years, so I have a ear and feel for such things to know the difference you know.

I must admit that my XG Falcon performed best on Caltex back in 1993-4, so I have no prejudice as to any company brands and will use products from different brands, as no one company has the best of everything and you will find some products are just crap, not to mention some that are real crappy.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote