View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #458
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
That's a huge benefit that most people don't get though. 45 minutes each way would probably be a tank a week so maybe $80/week and then parking costs to park at work for the day, rego $900/year, insurance let's say $800, I won't including servicing. That's at least $6000/year you're saving that the average person isn't, not including parking costs as it's such a variable.

For every person that I ask how they managed to get into the housing market, there always seems to be one big factor or lucky break in their lifestyle. Like they got to live rent-free at home while they saved a deposit, or they got an inheritance, or they have a company car which frees up their own money.

I'm not disputing that you had to have worked hard to get your house but if you had that company car back when you first got your house... that's a massive advantage that the average person doesn't get.
This also resonates with me, as I was lucky enough to have a company car from a young age. However, the company car came after my decision to buy a property, so it was a bonus...