View Single Post
Old 14-02-2018, 02:23 AM   #691
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Why is it.... that people don't think road rules apply when they're on a pushbike on the road?

Now I will clarify - I'm not talking about the daily commuter cyclist, or the regular road rider that's usually kitted up in safety gear, flashing lights etc. This is more of the "casual cyclist" I'm aiming this at. This is not the first time I've seen it, but today is the first time I've seen someone get pulled up for it.

This morning, a cyclist (well, more a bogan on 2 wheel pedal pusher than a cyclist as such) was pedalling along at 20km/h in the left lane of a multi-lane road. No helmet, in thongs & shorts, holding a mobile phone to his ear. Each red light he'd ride perilously up between cars with one hand on the handlebars, wobbling away, then across the crossing (against the don't walk sign) and then proceed onto the road once more - only to have all those cars have to go around him yet again, before the next red light, then repeat.

At the 3rd red light, we caught up to him - in the left lane, where a motorbike cop had pulled him up. As we went past, all I could hear was "F-you bloody copper pig, I'm on an F-ing pushbike, I can talk on the f-ing phone & you can't do f-ing nuffin"

Surely most people would realise if you can't talk on a hand-held phone on a motorbike, or in a car on the road, then the same would apply to a pushbike? He would still get done for no helmet, but that would be a pittance (not sure on points - if there's any) compared to the fine for a phone.
I know the type. I see a few stopping in at the Bull n Bush in the arvo. Lost their licence for drink driving & ride a kids bike to with the fluro work shirt. Not knocking the fluro shirts, I have a lovely selection of green & orange with all manner of filth embedded in them, but if I did my slip, I'd walk or get PT. I wonder if the copper did him for wreckless riding & the helmet. I believe a push bike rider can be fined for both of those. Anybody?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote