View Single Post
Old 19-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Camry Hybrid Battery - Lifespan & Warranty?

Ok, so when hybrids first came on the scene, all the doomsayers predicted the batteries wouldn't last, and would cost more than a new car to replace.
Toyota apparently offers an 8 year warranty, but I don't know the details.

Test drove a Camry Hybrid today. It appeared as good an example as we're likely to get. just gone 5 years old, 70,000km.

Sitting in the car yard, turned it on, and whilst it initially silent, within 20 seconds or so it started the engine because the battery was low. Could not engage EV mode because the battery was low. Drove it around for a bit, and the battery was on 4 green bars. After parking and turning it off, it dropped to 3. Within minutes it was down to 2 BLUE bars, and when I checked again a few minutes later, it was down to ONE.
Surely that can't be good or normal?

I can sit in a normal car and run the radio and even lights for hours, and it doesn't flatten a regular 12V battery that quickly.

To put this in context, it also shows the fuel consumption for the last trip, and it was over 10. Now for a brief test-drive, with a flat battery, that might be ok. On the assumption its charging the battery, and you recoup the savings later. But if the battery can't hold its charge, then its money and fuel wasted.

Now I have seen ads for a new battery, installed, for under $3k. If that gives us another 5 years of motoring, then its a good investment, but I'd rather have a diesel.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote