Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 01:09 AM   #3047
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
I would not use carbon clinchers weather they are brand name or cheap Chineese. The basic design of a wheel around the brake tracks do not allow for enough thickness of carbon and resin to cope with excessive heat caused by heavy breaking along with100ish psi of tyre and tube pressure imposed on it as the resin bonding softens due to temp.
manufacturers have tried various means to fix it but nothing yet is perfect. If you plan to ride predominantly on flat roads you can get away with it, but even a trip to the dandenongs is risky let alone longer descents.
Pros get away with it as they run tubular tyres. Tubs are better as the surface area is thicker due to tubular rim design and not succeptable to the high pressures pushing the rim edges outwards.
I know what you mean. I was riding down the devils elbow and a guy on a relative new carbon clincher exploded in front of me . I had been following the group for sometime , and had noticed this rider was very cautious on the decents (very hard on the brakes). By the time he got down the elbow the front rim had enough and just threw the tyre, splintering the braking surface.
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: