View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #274
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
As a retired working Paramedic here in the NT from 1983 to 1998 I can assure you it did go on. Policy of the Media / Police was to not report it for fear of copy cat stuff. If XXXX wasn.t strong enough to resist then what chance do I have.

The NT has a suicide rate four times the National average particularly in Aboriginal Outstations. They run in a series situation. One suicides, a few days later his friend does the same thing, a few days later ... you get the picture.

Cheers Vinny
Yep I've read/heard that too. Tradesmen aswell as farmers or agricultural workers and transport workers are actually the highest suicide rates for men.
But interestingly, from memory it's something like 90% have allready been diagnosed with mental issues! That number stuck and amazes me
For these poor trouble males, drugs, heavy workloads and things like seperation and job loss are the greatest triggers of Aus men! Perhaps the latter linked to the macho or traditional Aussie expectations for men to look after/provide for their families.

(Below containes a little detail from suicides just in case some may wish to skip)
But to be fair, as Superyob said.....apart from those two incidents I have never seen or been aware of much heavy depression around the job sites that I was on!

Last edited by GasoLane; 06-03-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Stick to the topic.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: