Thread: Identity theft
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #39
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Identity theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Unfortunately the Police said people can make fake licences quite easily and is probably how it was done, how/why they chose my details is beyond me, i've never lost my wallet or anything and never put that stuff on the net.

What made him most surprised was that Telstra dont even check that the address given is legit as the address on the contract isnt even valid, infact the street in question doesnt even exist in the whole of SA.

Its a scary thought that someone can take on your identity with bogus i.d. make up a bogus address and rack up debt in your name without anyone actually checking up on the details given.
All they had to do was Google the address and alarm bells would have gone off.
To then lump an innocent party with it is disgusting and should be amended through law.
With the current climate of hightened security and some unsavoury characters getting about, its surprising that they could be communicating via mobile phone with someone elses identity and effectively under the radar.
An address means nothing, My address I use for everything does not exist. Its on my drivers licence, rego, bills, I use the address that does not exist for everything.

In saying that, I still get my mail and everything delivered to this address. Vic roads has sent me something saying to update my address because it does not exist.

The street name and number are correct but my suburb and postcode are not. If you put my address into a GPS, you would not be able to find it.

So as you can see its pretty easy to make an address up and use it. Also I never understood why companies use utility bills as proof of address. I work for a utilities company and it would be very easy to change someone address, redirect the invoice to another address and then change the persons address back.

But in your case, hopefully everything gets sorted. Its good you went to the TIO, they will help you out hopefully.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote