Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #1513
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
Its funny how things change, makes you wonder if its all manufacturer propaganda or changes in technology (different rubber). I was of the same opinion, Skinny and harder was better, I used to ride a heap when I was younger and in training for competition in another sport - many years ago now.(When did things change to metric sizes anyway??)
Now you are testing my memory. I remember still being on 27x1's when I was 13 but metric was coming in, my bike was a Malvern Star with Shimano 600 on it. My next bike had 700c wheels, Mavic MA2 rims with Phil Wood titanium hubs and I was on that bike when I was 15 so that would make it about 1985-1987.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Norco Charger - cross country bike, I'm guessing hybrid type tyre:

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/...er/charger-91/

Local dirt back roads mostly.
Do you have it in the 29", if so I would like to get a 29er to replace my current 26?

I would assume you are just running standard tyre and tube and not tubeless. If so 35-40 psi will be ok. You can go up and down from there depending on where you ride and what you like. Go harder pressures if you have some weight on you or your are riding a lot of hard pack/pavement. The down side of high pressures is you lose some of the tyre deformation and therefore there tyre contact patch that gives you grip. Also high tyre pressures will bounce off ruts and rocks etc which will lose grip rather than absorbing them. Go too soft and you will run the risk of pinch flats.

I am 90+ kgs at the moment and I run 35 psi on my MTB with no problems.