Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #1510
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Interesting, when I started road racing we all rode 27x1 on your high end race bike and 27x1 1/8 on your training bike. Yes I have been in this sport long enough to remember imperial sizes. The idea was to go narrow and hard on race wheels.

Then came the metrics and the practice was the same but even more so as the metrics came narrower than the imperials did and I remember running 23 on my training wheels, 21 on my road race wheels and 19 (@160-180 psi) on my TT bike. The ride quality on a tubular (singles) in a 19 at 160 psi was awful, you might as well be riding concrete wheels but that same sensation made you think it was fast.

Now it seems we were wrong all that time.
Its funny how things change, makes you wonder if its all manufacturer propaganda or changes in technology (different rubber). I was of the same opinion, Skinny and harder was better, I used to ride a heap when I was younger and in training for competition in another sport - many years ago now.(When did things change to metric sizes anyway??)

I have now started back riding for fitness and fun in the last couple of years. As with most things I get into, I read up and absorb as much info as possible. Out of curiosity I decided to give the 25s try, and have not looked back. Obviously there is a point where it becomes too wide though.
I have even heard of some pros running 28mm tyres in classics like Paris - Roubaix and Tour of Flanders. clearly this is due to the lower pressure factor = softer ride, but the trade off cant be too bad or they would "suffer" through with the 23 or 25 tyres..
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote