View Single Post
Old 28-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: WQ Fiesta A/C Compressor issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Hi everyone,

We bought a WQ last year in the winter and obviously didn't test the A/C properly because while it works fine (so far), the compressor is very noisy. Sounds like a dull rattle or really dry loose bearing, something like that to give you an idea. The noise only occurs when the compressor clutch kicks in - so completely silent running otherwise.

So,
a) Has anyone had or known of this issue before?
b) Do you think it may only require the clutch assembly to be replaced? I've found on eBay that you can buy the clutch assembly alone from the USA for about $120 incl postage.
c) On eBay it's possible to buy 2nd hand complete compressors for about the $175 mark + postage.

Now I think with option b, if that was the issue and I replaced only the clutch assembly then I wouldn't need a full re-gas? However if the whole compressor (option c) is replaced then obviously a re-gas will be required.

If I do have to buy a 2nd hand compressor - are there any issues with putting it straight in? Will new seals be required? Do the internals have any issues if it's been exposed to air (I only ask because pictures of new ones have plugs, which the 2nd hand ones do not).

Thanks!
If you put in another compressor you will need to have someone licenced for A/C work put in the right type and amount of oil, most likely want to replace the reciever drier as well as its like a filter and moisture trap for the A/C system and vacuum down the system and regas it.

I wouldn't buy a second hand compressor, if anything buy new, Ashdown Ingrams is an auto electrical store which does A/C stuff.

Most auto electrical shops are licensed to do A/C work, I'd take the car there and see what they think.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote