View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
JeremyK

Default Re: Quick Question: Laser/Telstar gearboxes

Okay update guys.

I adjusted the brake band on the car which really helped power, it sucks alot less of the engines power but second gear stopped working, until randomly it started working again haha. This tranny is cactus.

However, I still want to change it, I dont want to change the motor, Ive decided, but I do want to change the transmission, but I want a 4 speed auto. It must be possible to convert mine to it? Someone on the TX5 forums said to make it work I will need:

The Auto ECU will need a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) Signal
-This is easy enough, I can add that onto the carby's throttle
-Speed Signal, can someone elaborate? What is that? Is it a little sensor that connects onto the speedometer, the speedo cable or somewhere in the gearbox? Will I need to change my instrument cluster (200kph) to the 240kph one used in the 2.2L engine with this gearbox?
-Idle switch or throttle closed switch, easy as the carby already has this built in but its easy to add another one if I need to.

So can anyone else elaborate on what else it will need? No Vacuum Pipes? I guess not as its all electronic! Will I need the 2.2Ls ECU as it will be the one that sorts out the TPS sensor and sends that info to the gearbox, no? Or does the TPS connect directly to the gearbox.

The TX5 forums guy said it probably wont ever work completely properly, look thats fine, as long as all 4 gears work in a reasonably good order and thats good enough for me!

Will the gearbox work somewhat, like a limp home mode, so if all else fails I can just drive the car somewhere to fix it?
JeremyK is offline   Reply With Quote