Thread: Brake Dust
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Re: Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy
Can you please recommend a good wheel cleaner and also a sealant?
Wheel Cleaners:
From auto retail outlets (Aurobarn, Repco, Supercheap) - Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner, Turtle Wax Rim Clean

Otherwise I'd look at Final Inspection Power Wheel Cleaner 2.0 or Chemical Guys Diablo Gel if you're prepared to buy online and pay an extra $10 for postage...

Sealant:
For wheels, you can use any conventional car wax. Ideally however you'd use something that is more resistant to the higher temps that brakes can generate - in saying that, for daily use brakes don't really emit THAT much heat, not like we see the V8 Supercars with glowing discs etc...

But if you're looking for something a bit stronger, Finish Kare 1000p Hi-Temp Paste Sealant is the best value - it's cheap, the tin is HUGE, it is VERY DURABLE...it can be a bit tricky to remove though, especially if you put it on too thick...and it doesn't smell the greatest either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa
I've ordered some Iron-X and it arrived today. I'll aim to take the wheels off my (LV) Focus Zetec on the weekend and clean them inside and out and report back.

My car was a fleet car before I bought it and the wheels just don't clean up properly with soap and elbow grease as they've been allowed to have the brake dust bake on I'd say. Hopefully this works.
You should be fine, give it a good clean first with your regular stuff to get rid of all the loose dirt etc...then allow the IronX to sit for a few minutes, then agitate with a brush! Make sure to rinse very thoroughly as well.

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 28-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote