Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
Love My Ford
Starter Motor

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Im still relatively new to cycling. did indoor spin classes every week for a year and a half to start with. lost about 8-10kg of body fat and added lean muscle to my legs. only in the past 3 months have i bought a flat bar road/hybrid bike and love being outdoors more. i spent about 800 for my kona dew plus which had good components which i was told was very important. found cycling for me is easier due to having a strong back ground already due to indoor cycling. it will take some time to get used to but over time your legs, and sit bones will get used to it. work through the pain and continue to push yourself overtime
indoor spin classes can be OK - but I love being out and about. Nothing like and early morning ride - watching the sun rise over the sea - clean, crisp fresh air.

Heaps of people out this morning.

Word of warning on the weight loss thing - if you start exercising you can actually add weight (in the form of muscle mass) but lose fat - this can depend a bit on you body type. I know for me - i Joined the gym, and actually put on 2kg after about 3 months - sounds bad but my body fat % had dropped from a rather unhealthy >25% to <15% - but my weight had gone up.

Worthwhile taking a few measurements (waist,thighs, arms) and if you can get someone to measure skin-folds then this is worthwhile. The fat% scales you can buy are good also (don't rely on the absolute number or %) but you can see if you are changing over time

Sounds a bit like you might have been down a similar path - would be interested to hear your experience.

With regard to the bike - good components are highly recommended.
Love My Ford is offline   Reply With Quote