Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 30-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #516
Love My Ford
Starter Motor

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
So, on doctors orders I need to drop some kilos and exercise. Running is out due to my calves, so I am really keen on cycling.

Tonight I gt the old mountain bike out and went for a ride, and thought I was going to die. Man am I unfit.

My question is more around those cyclists out there, what difference does a bike make? There are guys at work who are right into it and spend thousands on their bikes but you can pick it up with two fingers. So does a decent road bike make the difference? I mean my bike is old and is like a hybrid mountain bike, but on track today, there were guys pedaling the same as I was but they were justing taking off.

So does a good bike really help?
Sam,

I ride a fair bit, ~100 - 200 km's a week typically (weather dependent) I will not ride when it is wet - too dangerous.

Yes cycling really does help burn up the energy in a fairly quick fashion but diet is important too (not that I can talk at the moment cos I'm carrying a few too many kilos!) ( a few weeks of no exercise and if you don't adjust your diet you will pack it back on)

Remember that cycling is also a very energy efficient mode of transport !

In terms of bikes - yes weight does make a difference but not that much - in fact some of the super-light bikes (<6.8 kg) can be 'too light' and flighty on the steering - but again - each to their own.

Comfort should be considered first because if you are uncomfortable you will not ride much.

By way of example I went from a ~9.5 kg bike to ~7.0 kg bike and I'm not riding significantly faster - slightly better up hills (But Mt Coo Tha is still a struggle) and less rolling resistance and the ride comfort is a lot better due to improved geometry, better frame flex in the right directions etc (bike technology has moved a long way in 10 years).... Cost me a bit though!.

I think you can get a fairly decent Road bike (consider flat bar hydrids as well) for around the $1000-$1,500 mark, this is a good starting point - if you find you get right into it (after a year or two) you can do your research, look around and then consider splashing out the big bucks for really nice bike. Too much choice and too confusing otherwise.

if you have an Iphone - consider the Cycle Tracker App (About$6) tells you how much energy you burn for each ride.

- LMF
Love My Ford is offline   Reply With Quote