Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 23-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #351
HLC
Audi S3

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Thanks Henri. I do have semi slick skinny tires on my bike. I tend to use a big gear regardless of what work I do. I didn't end up riding that day. The weather was pouring with rain and I didn't want to risk an accident considering im off on holidays next week. I postponed the rematch for early in Jan when I get back from holidays.

I have a question for equipment guru's out there.

What do you rate more, Shimano groupset or SRAM groupsets? What the benefits between either if there are any?

Also, is it worth going for a full carbon bike with say a 105 groupset as opposed to a alloy/carbon fork option with say Ultegra/Dura ace groupset?

How important is the frame choice and would be better off spending more on better frame with the intention of upgrading my groupset at a later stage?
Let us know how you go! But racing in the wet is good fun!

In terms of groupsets, the general consensus is that SRAM is pretty noisy and clunky unless you go RED which IIRC is top of the line.

Shmano stuff is much better. Or if you can stretch, get some passionate Italian gear. Campagnolo Super Record 11! Mmmmmmm

Ive got 3 mates each with a carbon roadie each, 2 trek's and a Giant. One has 105, 1 has Ultegra and one has Dura Ace.

The trek with 105 was around 1500 and is nice, although my mate just put a set of Campagnolo Shamal Ultra's on there for $800 and it goes real well. then next up was the trek with Ultegra, that was about 3200. The Giant with DA and Mavic Ksyriums SL wheels was like 5500 or something ridiculous.

In all honesty, for someone getting into road riding, the trek with 105 and a nice set of wheels would be fine. And still cheaper than the trek with Ultegra.

In saying that, I found the Ultegra shifted niced than the 105, however the notice between DA and Ultegra was negligible. I believe the DA is a slightly lighter groupset. Dura Ace Di2 on the other hand would be a completely different kettle of fish.

So in summary, if it was me, I would stretch the budget to a carbon frame/Ultegra set up, it may be overkill at first but you will 'grow' into it. However, I would be just as happy with carbon/105 and a nice set of wheels!

Keep In mind, carbon can/will fatigue over years and one crash can kill it all! So think about longevity and how long you are planning on keeping these things as an upgrade to a better groupset may be futile. There is always bikesure though!!!

Cheers