View Single Post
Old 26-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Hospital cover, who has it?

i thought exactly the same (and still do) and up until 18mnths ago, we only had extras cover also.

the thing that made us join private health, is my daughter is type 1 diabetic (has been since 5yrs old, now 11). she was having insulin injections twice a day, but 12mnths ago we went to pump therapy. its a little device about the size of a mobile phone and controls her insulin. the thing is, these little devices are $8000 a pop and only good for 4yrs. under private health, they are seen as a prosthesis and are free. its still costing me about $8000 every 4yrs, but at least there are other benefits there if we need (dental etc).

sorry for the long story, but if my daughter wasn't in that situation, i wouldn't have private health. as you've discovered, it seems to defy all logic. i also get slugged extra due to signing up when over 30. another 'tax' to thank the govt for.

another story, my folks always had private health. my dad got appendicitis and went to flinders (hospital) and because it was an emergency he went to the public hospital anyway and then thanks to a lack of beds, ended up on a gurney in a corridor. all that money for private health.....
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote