View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #177
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Hey people, a quick text update (no photos!)

Much has happened since the last post.

i have finish off some trim details, such as enertia reel covers for the front seats and also made a repair to the drivers seat, the cable to allow the seat to tilt detached and locked the seat. took the back off and headed over to Elite custom trimming for them to help remove the trim to get to the cable.
easy done, though i have a thought it my come back again, we'll see.

Also modified a hornet scoop to clear the carbies and 'cleaners. sliced a medium size one horizonally and added about 3/4" to the height. This was to be painted this weekend but work and the rain stopped that.

The biggest headache has been the front shocks. i had added an extra mount to the control arm to raise the car for rego. Last year going to Echuca, i dropped the car back to the lower mounts for a better look, without checking clearances. Anyway i recently went to move the shocks back up for rego and found oil on them. Closer inspection showed the new mounts have touched the shocks and bent them, allowing oil to escape....

Damb it!!
So $780 later i have some new QA-1 shocks in the front and the added brackets removed.

I have also been making a front sway bar. 28mm chrome-moly bar and some billet alloy arms. Still need to complete this, but its not required for rego anyways.

My enginner has informed me that i will now need to complete a drive-by noise test for NSW rego. He doubts the car will pass with the 6/71 on it.
So to combat the "induction noise" i have machined small grooves in the blower pulleys to allow the air thats compressed as the belt wraps around them escape. if this fails possibly new 8mm pitch belt system may work or even worse miltiple V belts. We'll see....

Oh yeah, got me some new front tyres too, super happy. 245/50/15. dunlop SP8000. imported from the USA. the front now looks much tuffer as the previous 225/50/15's made the car look under tyred at the front and a little low profiled compared to the 295/50/15's on the back. WIN!!!

Oh yeah, the over flow tube for the radiator had come off the filler neck. ive taken it out and had a radiator dude fix it up. he took great care in not burning too much paint for me as well, except he scratched the crap out of the opposite end but resting it on a concrete floor, whilst doing the repair!

Once this and the scoop is painted ill book in for a blue slip and start the fight of all fights, full street rego!

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote