View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #41
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
In 20 years, I've yet to see a disgruntled IT guy blow away years of data - at least, that wasn't recoverable - I'm sure it would lead to inevitable prosecution had it been done. The possibility certainly wouldn't persuade me to trust my sensetive data on servers hosted on the other side of the world.
Eh it happens, and yes for $5k the data was recovered, and yes he was prosecuted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Cheap netbook buyers are the major target audience for Chromium (or whatever it's eventually going to be called). A device that boots quick and provides almost instant access to web and email - it's simply not a corporate desktop OS.
I dont know why its not a solution for corporate users? For the majority of company's google apps / chrome will be the way of the future...

Add up say the cost of 10 PC's + office licensing, a server (cheap x3200 for instance), exchange + licenses. Then work out what it costs to buy some cheap PC's and google apps costs, it will be a lot cheaper then the server option (I know, I have done the math)

Imagine if chrome was usable as a "TS"? 10 users on thin clients, no need for any other software...

The reason that this will go ahead, is because as google apps gets better, there will be no reason NOT to move to move to google. Working in the industry i dont like the idea, but it will happen...

Sensitive data? I'd prefer to have it with someone like google, then on a windows server. I dare say there is more chance of someone hacking an SBS server behind crapbox ISA, over hacking google, or more chance of "information" leaks between staff at a christmas party rather then google execs sitting there going "oohh this 1$mil turnover company is dodging taxes". Googles concern is you paying $$$$$ for google apps, not profiteering from sensitive information..

From an IT perspective, there's also no reason to upgrade server when warranty is out / replace faulty disks / raid cards / deal with internet outages in data centres / any all the other associated crap that comes with administering Windows Servers
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote