View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
pcperfection
Cougar

Well being one of the few here that has a Cougar with 100,000K plus on the clock this is one of the things that you can all look forward to at some stage, as the Yanks call it "MOOSING" it only happens to Duratec engines and usually over the 100,000K, it's caused by the IACV (Idol Air Control Valve ) not closing properly when you take your foot off the gas, instead of shutting completely it leaves a small gap around the valve allowing air to be sucked in causing a very loud noise (moosing) or using a sound more relative to us Aussies something like blowing across the top of a beer bottle but 50 times louder, the best diagnostics is to flip the cover off the air filter, once it's off you will soon know weather it's the IACV by the sound (gets 10 x louder). I opted for the remove/clean/re fit (cleaned with carby cleaner)of the IACV and so far it's not only fixed the Moosing sound but my fuel read out has gone from 11.8 (pre cleaning) to 10.3. Just a note to anyone looking through any of the U.S forums for a fix for this issue, they seem to use a different IACV than us, there's has a longer shaft with a spring on it, it's the actual shaft that gets build up on it and stops the valve from shutting, so just incase you refer to a pic of a yank IACV and it looks different (like there's bits missing) don't panic (like I did) that's how it's suppose to be.
This is a easy fix, 20min - remove the 2 x 10mm bolts - 1 x 2 pin plug, once removed clean well with carby cleaner several times, re fit once dried out

Cheers
Mark
pcperfection is offline   Reply With Quote