View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #30
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Amazing what happens when people are given a chance to drive what we've been raving about for 4 years now!!! I'm stoked you enjoyed it and I'm highly confident almost any Falcon driver would have the same write-up.

I purchased one of the first Zetecs in Australia from Dominelli Ford in Kirawee, Sydney (Southern Sydney), mine too a 3 door, but also equipped with Traction and Stability Control - Dynamic Stability Control (something the BA Falcon had never heard of in 2002!!). Dominelli Ford did offer packs, I think they were Blitz packs or something, not sure. They did for a while offer 16" rims but later on got aggressive and pushed hard with bigger rims and springs etc. Probably had Pedders springs fitted and a mild exhaust. Interestingly the Zetec badge on the boot isn't standard, only on the front quarter panels! I too added an extra Zetec badge on the boot - damn cost saving.

The Zetec gets the 2.0 16V twin cam Zetec engine, but with 96kw instead of 85kw like on the rest of the range, which gets a virtually identical 1.8 litre version (85kw), it also gets a shorter ratio manual, with tougher internals and a stiffer clutch. It has torque to burn and will happily pull from low revs in a high gear, something the lower models struggle to do due to lack of torque and taller gearing. I have more than kept up with all kinds of 6-cylinder rivals and if corners are involved... it's the same everytime. They brake coming into the corner or roundabout, I don't. They then see a little wiggle in the Focus' tail as I exit ahead of them and the car settles down to show them it's gorgeous derriere.

The LR Focus you drove comes standard with Control Blade Independent rear suspension, the car the BA Falcon COPIED!!! It's the secret to both the focus' composure and it's incredibly flat handling. They're very easy on tyres due to the even grip and flat footprint even under load. The lift off oversteer is the most fun aspect of the whole car!!

I'll swear until the day I die that the LR Focus Zetec will remain one of the best cars I have ever driven for overall enjoyment, fun and stupidity, regardless of new models replacing it and standard options outdating it quickly. I'm lining up for an XR8 Ute as my first company car, but the Focus will take pride of place in my garage, I'm not selling this baby EVER, who cares how much I could get for it when I sell it, she's NEVER for sale!!!

It's amazing just how good acar with a great chassis can be, regardless of whether it's a supercar, family car or a "chick's car". All I can say is, if the Focus is a chicks' car, then boobs aren't the only thing they're blessed with.